Breast Augmentation Scars
Breast augmentation can provide a wealth of benefits to patients, including increased self-esteem, increased confidence, and broader clothing options. However, all surgical procedures result in some scarring, and breast augmentation is no exception. Sydney plastic surgeon Darrell Perkins keeps breast augmentation scars to a minimum by using refined incision and suturing techniques. He strategically places the incisions in the crease of the breast, where they are naturally hidden.
Additionally, there are further measures our Sydney breast augmentation patients can take in the months following surgery to ensure that scars are absolutely minimized:
- Keep your scars out of the sun. The importance of this step cannot be overstated. If you do not use tanning beds or practice nude sunbathing, you may not think it will be difficult to shield your scars from sunlight. However, it is important to understand that sunlight can actually penetrate clothing. Scar tissue is very sensitive, and excessive sun exposure can cause scars to not only become discolored, but to thicken. You can avoid these unwanted effects by applying sunscreen of at least 15 SPF to your breast augmentation scars when your scars might be exposed to the sun.
- Skin lightening cream can reduce the production of melanin in the skin or stimulate skin exfoliation (shedding of skin cells). Both of these effects can cause scars to become less noticeable. We can help you determine what kind of lightening cream is best, and provide specific instructions so you can enjoy the best possible results.
- Gently massaging scar tissue can increase blood flow and collagen production. Collagen is essential in regenerating skin, and in giving skin its elasticity. Specific massage techniques can help your body produce healthy skin to replace scar tissue (again, some permanent scarring is unavoidable, but these techniques can help to minimize them).
- Silicone scar sheets are available over the counter, and can help to reduce the appearance of breast augmentation scarring. These sheets are typically thin and self-adhesive with a cloth back. Simply apply the sheet, and wear it for at least 12 hours per day. Some silicone sheets can be reused for a few days. Results vary from patient to patient, but some report seeing noticeable reduction in scarring within a month or two.
- Certain vitamins can foster proper scar healing. Vitamin A strengthens and fortifies fragile skin around the scar. Vitamin E helps your body remove debris and toxins from the bloodstream. Vitamin C stimulates collagen formation in and around the scar.
If you are interested in breast augmentation, we will take ample time to address all your concerns about every step of the process. This includes guidance in how to reduce breast augmentation scars to an absolute minimum. Because breast augmentation can have a tremendously positive impact on the way you look and feel about yourself, we will provide you with the guidance and education you need to ensure your satisfaction with the results. Contact our practice today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Perkins.