Laser skin rejuvenation is a non-surgical treatment that uses light energy to treat your skin by gently stimulating natural collagen growth, improving pores, reducing redness, removing irregular pigmentation and reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
There are two categories of laser treatments: ablative and non-ablative. Ablative treatments remove the top layer of the skin (skin resurfacing). Non-ablative treatments do not remove a layer of the skin but instead use heat to stimulate the cells of the area treated.
Both ablative and non-ablative treatments are available at the Sydney-based cosmetic surgery practice of Dr. Darrell Perkins with our Cutera laser.
Laser Genesis is non-ablative with no harsh exfoliation. Laser Genesis produces very rapid pulses of infra-red laser light. The handpiece does not touch the skin, having the added advantage of being very safe. The epidermis (top layer of the skin) is heated to about 40 – 45 degrees C and the dermis (deeper layer of the skin) continues to get warmer, around 50 – 55 degrees C. The gentle heating action stimulates a healing action in the dermis and new collagen and elastin fibre growth. The pulses are long enough to eradicate fine dilated capillaries which cause background redness and Rosacea.
A course of 4 – 6 treatments is recommended at 2 – 6 week intervals for best results. The treatment feels like a warm sensation, like lying in the sun. It gets very comfortable and some clients have been known to be relaxed with the warmth and even nod off. You could be a little flushed for 1 hour after but make-up maybe applied if you wish.
- The skin tightens, thickens which tends to smooth fine wrinkles
- Pores close
- Texture improvements
- Diffused redness and damaged capillaries are removed or reduced
- Best treatment for Rosacea
- Skin rejuvenation
- Suitable for all skin types
- Improves early scars and stretch marks
- No downtime and your skin looks better that day
This longstanding and well recognised light-based technology uses combined energies to effectively and gently restore and rejuvenate the appearance of your skin while stimulating collagen formation. The treatment carefully fades and removes the appearance of skin imperfections caused by the sun and age related conditions. The energy and heat will target and or eliminate many of the fine vessels that cause redness, and unwanted melanin responsible for pigmented lesions such as freckles, sun spots and age spots. Pigmented spots on the face usually darken and flake off over 7 days. Some stubborn spots may take up to 10 days. Other areas on the body can take 2 – 3 weeks. The area remains red and feels warm for about 1 hour after the treatment. Swelling may or may not be present for a day or two.
Common areas treated are the most exposed to the damaging effects of the sun such as the face, neck, chest, shoulders, arms and hands.
One or two treatments are sufficient to see dramatic results. Additional treatments maybe required for darker spots, densely freckled areas or excessively sun damaged skin. Treatments are usually 4 weeks apart.
- Removes pigmentation, freckles, sun-spots, liver spots, age spots
- Removes or reduces redness, spider veins and helps Rosacea
- Skin rejuvenation
- Improves the glow and evens the skin tone
- Suitable for most skin types
- Minimal downtime – most people return to work the next day with make-up and resume normal activities. Some may require a few days off work due to swelling and/or pigmentation looking darker in the first few days before it flakes
CoolGlide ND Yag Laser
This is the vascular laser and is used for more focal treatment of stubborn vessels. It treats the smaller spider veins to the deep blue reticular veins precisely and predictably. Other conditions that can be treated are cherry angiomas (small or large red spots that are flat or raised), face and leg veins. Patients with dark, light or tanned skin can be treated.
During these treatments light energy is absorbed by the blood vessel and this causes a thermal coagulation (clogging). The clogged vessel is then slowly absorbed by the body.
- Removes or reduces redness and spider veins, and helps Rosacea in less treatments than IPL and other lasers
- Treating larger vessels will decrease the spread of smaller capillaries
- Can treat dark or tanned skin
- 1 – 2 treatments is usually sufficient
Pearl Fractional Laser
Pearl Fractional laser treatment is a non-invasive treatment using a microscopic laser beam that treats a fraction of the skin at a time. Fractional laser treatment selectively removes columns of tissue leaving the surrounding skin intact. This treatment allows the skin to heal much faster than if the entire skin surface were treated at one time. The process removes sun-damaged tissue and then stimulates the growth of healthy new skin, full of fresh collagen. This plumps the skin from below, repairing photodamage and other skin imperfections.
A numbing cream and laughing gas will be offered to minimise any discomfort while undergoing the treatment.
Following treatment, patients will experience a mild to moderate windburn or sunburn sensation and swelling. Swelling may last 3 – 4 days, and will often be worse the day after your treatment. Your skin will be red, and this may last for up to one week. There will be fine flaking and itching for a few days. Make-up can usually be applied 5 or 6 days after the treatment.
Usually 1 – 2 treatments are needed, 4 – 6 weeks apart
- Improvements in sun damage, skin texture, and age spots
- Improvements in acne scarring, lines and wrinkles
- Improvement continues over weeks & months as skin continues to produce new collagen
- Usually only 4-5 days off work or from social activities
- Can be used on the face, neck and décolletage
Pearl Laser (Laser Resurfacing)
Pearl Laser treats fine lines on the face and neck, uneven skin texture, and light and dark spots caused by sun damage. The top layer of the skin is treated with pulses of light and a portion of the epidermis is gently removed. The entire top sun-damaged layer is replaced with new healthy skin and stimulates new collagen growth. New collagen growth continues for 4-6 weeks post treatment. The combination of new skin and decreased wrinkles results in a healthier, more youthful appearance.
The treatment can be slightly uncomfortable to some areas of the face. Numbing cream and laughing gas will be offered.
Usually 1 – 2 treatments are needed.
- Treats fine lines, uneven pigmentation and skin texture, brown spots, sun damage
- Minimal social downtime – about 3 – 4 days of no make-up
- No weeping or oozing
- Suitable for most skin types
- Early results seen in 3 – 4 days, and will continue to improve as new collagen grows
Prices vary according to the treatment required and treatment area. All treatments can be tailored to the area of concern.